Ray's Very Own Alternate Home Page
Welcome to my very own unofficial WWW server -- There used to
be a button to take you to the Sequoia 2000 web site -- but it has
disappeared with the reorganization of the SDSC web site. The Berkeley
Sequoia site is
If you came here looking for things Sherlockian, sorry. I'm a fan but
don't have anything online here. You probably should check out
Sherlockian Holmepage maintained by Chris Redmond.
Some Interesting Sites
ANU Art History
Ukiyo-e -- Japanese WoodBlock Prints
Another very fine site for
Welcome to the UCMP
The following are pointers to Digital Library related information,
particularly those (like Berkeley) that are part of the NSF/ARPA/NASA
Digital Libraries Initiative.
Papers, etc. on Digital Libraries
- NSF/NASA/ARPA Digital Libraries Research announcement
- NSF/NASA/ARPA Award announcement
- NSF Clearinghouse on the DL Initiative. Contains many of the pointers below.
- Scientific American: Feature Article: The Semantic Web: May 2001
- UCLA-NSF Social Aspects of Digital Libraries Workshop: Final Report
- CDL Technical Reports
- DLI2/IMLS PI meeting (06-May-2001)
- Joint Conference on Digital Libraries
- dli2 2000
- The Joint NSF/JISC International Digital Libraries Initiative
- SDLIP-DASL Mapping
- DLI2 Funded Projects
- UKOLN - z39.50 European Projects
- EAD index
- Digital Library Federation
- Digital Libraries Resource Page
- Digital Library Related Information and Resources
- Digital Libraries Resources, Research and Projects
- Melvyl Homepage
- Global Information Locator
- UC Berkeley Digital Library Project
- CVS Commit in Emacs
- Berkeley Digital Library Full Text Searching
- The Online Archive of California
- Semi-Annual Progress Report August 1, 1996
- Quarterly Progress Report August 1, 1997
- U.C. Berkeley Digital Library Site Visit
- Multivalent Documents
- Berkeley Elib Documentation
- Bibliographic schema for documents
- UC Berkeley Digital Library SunSITE
- Metadata Workshop II
- Collaborative Filtering
- InterBib Bibliography-Related Services
- RLG Strategy for 2000 -- Supporting Projects
- General Information
- D-Lib (June 1995) Research in Support of Digital Libraries at Xerox PARC Part II: Technology
DL Papers, etc.
- D-Lib Magazine (June 1999)
- UCLA/NSF - Social Aspects of Digital Libraries
- The Idea of a Permanent World Encyclopaedia
- Computer - Building Large-Scale Digital Libraries
- D-Lib - Ready Reference
- IBM Digital Library White Papers
- Digital Intellectual Property
- Toward on-line, worldwide access to Vatican Library materials
- IITA DL Workshop Report
- The Public Interest in Copyright Law: Past, Present, and Future
- University Libraries & Scholarly Communication: University Libraries and Scholarly Communication: A Study Prepared for The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation: by Anthony M. Cummings, Marcia L. Witte, William G. Bowen, Laura O. Lazarus, and Richard H. Ekman: Published by The Association of Research Libraries for The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation: November 1992
- Digital Image Access and Retrieval
- D-Lib Magazine
- D-Lib, Digital Library Research Projects
- Home Page: American Memory from the Library of Congress
- Library Without Walls
- The RYHINER-Project at the University Library of Berne
- Columbia University: Bartleby Library
- BIBLIOMANIA, The Network Library: Home Page
- IBM Digital Library: Digital Libraries for Large Multimedia Collections
- IBM Digital Library
- Digital Library Technology Home Page
- State-by-State DLT/RSD Summary
- INDEX:Digital Libraries
- DLT Funded Projects
- Public Use of Remote Sensing Data
- NASA - IITA
- USDAC Home Page
- GeoScope Detailed Design
- Project Horizon Home Page
- Digital Libraries at Xerox PARC
- Z39.50 Access to Digital Collections
- Digital library information
- Digital Libraries '95 On-Line Proceedings
- CFP:DIGITAL LIBRARIES '97
- Information Foraging in Information Access Environments
- Project Xanadu
- Stanford's Digital Libraries Project
- NASA's Digital Library
- American Memory Project from the
Library of Congress
The UC Berkeley Library The REAL thing -- going digital...
The UC Berkeley Library SUNSite: Lots of Digital Library Info and Collections
- D-Lib Magazine from CNRI and Bill Arms.
- My ASIS Digital Library Paper
- My "Search Capabilities for Users of Digital Libraries: Tools and Paradigms"
discussion paper from UCLA/NSF Digital
- OK, it's not really about digital libraries, unless you consider
The WWW a DL. But here is my ASIS '96 paper
Bibliometrics of the World Wide Web: An
Exploratory Analysis of the Intellectual Structure of Cyberspace
- Online Proceedings of Digital Library Related Conferences.
- Institute on Digital Library
Development. July 15-19 and July 29-August 2, 1996 Berkeley, California.
- OGDL II. Organizing
the Global Digital Library II and Naming Conventions May 21-22, 1996. Library
of Congress, Washington, DC.
- Digital Libraries '95 (DL'95).
The Second International Conference on the Theory and Practice of Digital
Libraries, held June 11-13, 1995. Austin, Texas.
- Digital Libraries '94 (DL
'94). The First Annual Conference on the Theory and Practice of Digital
Libraries June 19-21, 1994. College Station, Texas.
International Symposium on Digital Libraries 1995. August 22-25, 1995.
Tsukuba Science City, Ibaraki 305, Japan.
Digital Libraries Workshop. Interoperability, Scaling, and the Digital
Libraries Research Agenda. May 18-19, 1995, Reston, Virginia.
- Social Aspects of Digital Libraries.
February 16-17, 1996, University of California, Los Angeles.
- How we do user-centered
design and evaluation of Digital Libraries: A methodological forum
was the the theme of the 37th Allerton Institute (1995) conference of the
Graduate School of Library and Information Science University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign. October 29-31 1995.
Gathering from Heterogeneous, Distributed Environments, the American
Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) Spring Symposium Series.
March 27-29, 1995 Stanford University, Stanford, California.
- Of particular historical interest is the
"World Brain" article written by H.G. Wells for the Encyclopaedia Francaise
Geographic Information Retrieval and GIS
The following are sites supporting Geographic information systems, or
active maps of geographic areas.
The following are sites associated with Information Retrieval research
including technical reports, etc.
Fun and Games and Interesting Stuff
Ray R. Larson
School of Information Management and Systems
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, California 94720-4600
But I'd rather be here in Bora Bora.